Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Australian Open - Sydney - Get your Mojo!!!

Get a coffee, because this is going to be a long one!!!

The last time I wrote you, I was in St. Kilda, making my way to the Australian Open to watch the Men's Finals with my partner in crime Mike. Now seeing as we are backpacking, buying a $300+ ticket to watch the game inside the stadium was not going to happen, and also would have been pretty shitty, because we all know how loud I like to get at a sporting event and there is a strict no yelling policy inside the stadium while the match is being played. So we did the next best thing, the Heineken Beer Garden where you can buy 4 beers at a time at the fair price of $7.50 a beer. We surrounded ourselves with the Murray supporters, which in hein sight, was probably the wrong choice, but the right croud to party with. When sitting in the beer gardens, Mike and I ran into some friends Roxanne and Zoe and waited for two of our friends Carrie and Anna from our hostel. With a 2 to 1 ratio of women to men, Mike and I were the team to be. After watching the tragic loss, the six of us were on our way to hit the town. From one bar to the next, we showed Melbourne how to properly throw down a night of drinking and by 3am we made our way back home. Two days later, after some much needed recovering, we moved out of St. Kilda, and made our way back to the original Melbourne Hostel to do some more sight seeing and obviously rip the city apart once more. We walked the city, through the Botanical Gardens and made our way to some war memorial area. After the sight seeing, we made our way to the bar to plan what the evening festivities would be.

We decided that the best and most affordable thing to do was to go to the grocery store, get some bbq meats and enjoy the roof top patio at the hostel, obviously with drink to flow throughout the evening. We were thrown off the patio around 11pm and while some decided that the night was over, others, including myself, mike, and some of the ladies, decided that there was a bar calling our name and we were not going to let it down. Mike and the girls from Norway (Karrie, Anna) decided to hit a club, the much wiser Zoe knew that following the party animal and bad influence that I am was a much better choice. Needless to say, we found ourselves in a Kareoke bar and made the party run till the we mornings of 4am. At the bar, I ran into some friends that I had made in Sydney a couple weeks earlier and they contributed to getting me up on stage to sing whatever I would agree too. The next two days were the worst hang over I had experienced in a very long time, and it was time to make my way back to Sydney for a couple of days, for recovery and preperation for surf camp.

Sydney

After being in Melbourne for 10 days, it was apparent to me that Sydney was a boring town with little character and I couldn't wait to hit surf camp. If you remember reading about my trip to Katoomba where I met the Irish, you will not be surprised that when in Sydney I met with them once more and on the hottest god damn day in the history of my trip in Australia, we bared 41.4 degree weather and went to the beach. At first we chose not to drink at the beach, but once we made our way to a grassy area where we could bbq some lunch, it just seemed to make sense to suck back some beers and goon while chatting in the sun. Oh man, a little beer and a lot of sun will really put you in an inhebriated state in no time!!! Following the beach, we made our way back to our respected homes and went out later in the evening to some going away parties and then once that ended some solid night clubbing. Thanks to Dean, the leader of our night club ventures, we ended up in this smashing night club where we had our own room for dancing, changing shoes and a solid photo shoot. It was on this night that I had to call Liis to walk me home, because little did I know, but Kings Cross is the red light district of Sydney and there were some real characters out there. I had one more day to spend in Sydney and I had so much to get done, with little time and with a call to have an afternoon pint with some friends, I found I had even less time to prepare for surf camp. Luckily, I have some self control and after another solid afternoon, I got all my stuff done, had a great dinner and made my way to bed early because the next morning at 6:15am I was to be on the MojoSurf bus to make my way to the first camp in B, on my 5 day surf adventure. Knowing I had to get up so early in the morning, I found myself wide awake till just past 3am dreading my alarm to go off at 5 to 6.

Mojo Surf Camp

A wise man once said, " The best thing about Sydney is the road out of Sydney."

I did it! I made the bus and I was on my way to rip the Australian Oceans apart. We arrived at surf camp just before 1pm on Monday afternoon, and let me tell you this place is stellar! There is no internet, no phone service, just a wicked camp ground and some awsome beaches. Once we got here, we had a theory lesson and then out to the water. When i say theory, I really mean, how to be cool, because as a surfer, you have to be cool. NO NERDS ALOUD! Day one in the ocean, was not as spectacular as I thought. I got up once and got eaten by waves for 2 hours. Well maybe I got up more than once, but I definitely lost on day one. After our surf lesson, we had an amazing meal and then we hit the beach to have an evening bond fire and the night went on. Today was day two of the trip and I would say that I got up about 60% of the time and loved hitting the waves. It's almost 11.30am and we are waiting for lunch and then back out to the water around 1:30pm. Like anything, this sport will take time to master, the only question is, "how much time do I need?" Tomorrow we will be heading to "Spot X" and we have another 4 lessons, and then Byron Bay.

That's basically all I got for you now, wait a couple more days and I'll hit you up with another blog. Hope you enjoyed the read. Talk to you soon.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment