Saturday, April 2, 2011

Byron Bay - Feb. 11-13 (Fri-Sat)

So I finished surf camp and it was amazing. I met tons of great people and even got to ride some waves! One of the reasons I chose to go to surf camp was because I could make my way to Byron Bay and see Erika, a friend from Toronto.
When I arrived to Byron Bay, I showed up in the Surf Camp bus, with all the other surfers that part-took in the last weeks festivities in the ocean, and we were ready to party. Once in my hostel, I decided to call Erika and let her know what my evening plans were. She quickly told me that my original plans were not the plans that people of our caliber are really interested in. I mean, who wants to go to a bar called funky monkey (or something like that) and watch young beautiful travelers with no inhibitions, part-take in wet t-shirt contests and even further, perhaps remove their tops. Not me! I was raised better than that!! You guys aren't buying it are you? Well, while i would have loved all that, the weekend Erika had planned was way better.
Friday night we went to this great bar called, "The Beachie", where I met some of her many friends, listened to live music and even danced a little. From the beachie to another bar, and then a kabob before I went to bed, my first night in Byron was exactly what I was looking for.

The next morning, Erika had texted me to let me know that she and her roommates were going to the beach for a bbq, and chilling. Turns out, we were all feeling pretty crappy from the night before that instead of going to the beach, we chose to spend the day, hanging out in the backyard, tan and drink beers. Mid-afternoon, we decided to do the lighthouse walk. The lighthouse in Byron Bay is the most easterly point of Australia and the views are amazing. What a fun walk! We almost even got to see the sun set. Our evening was to end short on Saturday because Erika and I were on an adventure the next morning to do some sea kayaking pretty early, so Mark her roommate, cooked us some kangaroo and we had the perfect chill evening.

Sunday Funday (Sunday February 13th... the 12th back home)

What an amazing morning! Erika and I got up as planned, walked to the beach and by 9:30am we were paddling in the Pacific Ocean.  We were looking for dolphins, but instead found some "small" sharks. "5 footers" our guide told us. i don't know about you, but if it is a shark, and it's bigger than my arm, I'm not happy! After paddling for about 2.5 hours, our tour ended and we were on our way back to Erikas, to get ready for Sunday Funday!!!
We hung out for a couple of hours in her back yard with her roommates listening to music, talking about how great life is in Byron and just enjoying life. That's when I got the call...

No comments:

Post a Comment