Saturday, April 2, 2011

My Feb. 13th, Your Feb. 12th... Isa - Aug. 22, 1942 - Feb. 12, 2011

So I'm writing this blog in the Steam Works Brewing Co. and if you knew my dad as well as I did, I think I'm writing it in the perfect setting... so here we go

So as you were reading, I was having the best Sunday Funday I have ever experienced. I was in the amazing town of Byron Bay, hanging out with new friends and old and really starting to get what I wanted out of life and that's when it happened.

My sister called me, around 2:30pm and the second I picked up the phone, I knew what had happened. She didn't say anything, she didn't have to, I could hear the distress in her voice and at that moment, I knew that my best friend was gone.

My dad and I had a friendship that was stronger than anything in the world. We did so much together and over the years, he tought me so much. From bringing me to bars around the world at a young age to going to bar with him around the world when I could drink with him, we had this true bond that I wish everyone could have with their parents.

The next 36 hours were the hardest hours I have ever had. I had to catch a bus, a train and a plane from Byron Bay to Toronto, and in no way was it nearly as hilarious as when John Candy and Steve Martin did it in, "Trains, planes, and automobiles."

To make a sad story short, I went back home to Canada to do what I had to do, for myself and my family with the intention of returning to Australia and finishing my trip, whenever that was going to happen.
I miss him and I think about him every day, but the world's still spinning and I need to leave my footprint, just like he left his. So while some may think that I am leaving home too soon, his memory will always be with me and now it's time for me to start my story.

So Isa, from the Steam Works Brewing Co., I raise a glass and drink to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment